Last night, the 18th edition of the Lo Nuestro awards took place in Miami. These awards differ from others because only public votes determine the winners (hence "Lo Nuestro" - meaning "Our Own"). Here are some of the winners:
- Pop: Shakira was the big winner here, taking home the Best Album, Best Song and Best Duo awards, for her latest album Fijación Oral and single La Tortura.
- Rock: Sadly all awards went to pop mega-artist Juanes, while promising new rock bands were overlooked...
- Tropical: Merenguera Olga Tañon won Best Merengue, Best Female, Best Song and Best Album; while Marc Anthony took home the Best Salsa and Best Male awards.
- Regional Mexican: four awards for Mexican banda Intocable, while "El Buki" Marco Antonio Solís got Best Male and a Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Urban: Reggaeton producers Luny Tunes won beforehand, since they had a hand in all the songs nominated for Best Song. Daddy Yankee's "Lo Que Pasó, Pasó" won, and El Cangri took home Best Artist as well. "Mas Flow 2" (by Luny Tunes & Baby Ranks) deserves the award for Best Album very much.