Sunday, October 08, 2006

Rock: Motel, Zoe

Something's moving in the Mexican charts. Besides the traditional latin rock artists like Maná, a wave of fresh, young bands are flooding the hit parade. Not influenced by the big latin rockers of the 80's, nor relying on traditional latino elements like salsa to spice up their songs, this new generation is educated by MTV and styled by modern punkrock bands (Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Panic! At The Disco, ...).


And unlike mentioned English-language punk groups, for these bands music is still more important than looks and a hit video. Moderatto, Allison, Zoé and Motel have nice pop-punk songs without screaming too loud or being too melodramatic. Motel has been featured on this site before, and their new song "Olvídame" is a worthy second to debut single "Dime Ven". I'm still not a big fan of lead singer Rodrigo Dávila - his voice is just too commercial to sing the dark lyrics he writes. But the subtle touches in guitar play make the song better than average.


Zoé is even darker, their first hit single "Vía Láctea" loaded with greasy riffs (like in modern britrock) and spooky vocals (like in the early eighties). The strange video and wacky album title (Memo Rex Commander y el Corazón Atómico de la Vía Lactea - Memo Rex Commander and the Atomic Heart of the Milky Way) add to the mystery. Vía Láctea has a special kind of appeal to me - and judging by the charts, also to millions of Mexican kids. Have a listen, and check their official site for a back catalogue of ink-black rock songs.

More about this new punk movement at Reuters (Article via The Latin Americanist).

Motel - Olvídame mp3 - video - lyrics - myspace - buy@iTunes - buy@CD Universe
Zoé - Vía Láctea mp3 - video - lyrics - myspace - buy@iTunes - buy@CD Universe

8 comments:

Erwin C. said...

Thank you very much for mentioning our post on The Latin Americanist, and wonderfu job explaining Motel and Zoe!

Erwin C. said...

*wonderful

Anonymous said...

I heard this song visiting mexico loved it and am dying to know what it means, would someone please tell me what the lyrics translate to or tell me where i can find them in English.~Eva

Chapín said...

hey eva, i'll do my best translating if you tell me which song - Dime Ven (Motel) or Via Láctea (Zoé)

Anonymous said...

Hey Chapin, via lactea, and love by Zoe, Thanks Eva

Chapín said...

I don't know "Love", but I did my best on "Via Lactea".

Zoé - Vía Láctea English Translated Lyrics

I have your voice in my voice
recorded in aerosol
Your ghostly kiss
stuck on my lower lip
and the map of your nudity

I have the prism of your eyes
in my astronaut helmet
and the timid light of your cells

And every night
below the milky way
seems endless if you're not here
And every night
from my window
I swear on your immortal name

And sometimes my skin cries
when it darkens of yearning
my mind inflates with so much memories
I can't sleep anymore

And on the carpet of your dreams
I'm the vagabond ray
it faints and it hurts
but it doesn't fade

And every night
below the milky way
seems endless if you're not here
And every night
from my window
I swear on your immortal name

I have the prism of your eyes
in my astronaut helmet
and the timid light of your cells

Milky way, milky way, milky way
when you're not here
Milky way, milky way, milky way
when you're not here
And I know I'll meet you again

Chapín said...

I've re-uploaded the song by the way: Via Lactea

Anonymous said...

Wow Chapin, I had my freind from Mexico translate it but yours is very beautiful and makes way more sense. Thanks XOXO~ Eva