Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Pop: Vaya Con Dios


Vaya Con Dios is (in contrary to what the name suggests) a quite successful Belgian band. Back in the nineties, their gypsy jazz music quickly conquered Europe, and the latin feel to some of the singles ( Nah Neh Nah, Puerto Rico) even gave them some success in Latin America. Ten years ago singer Dani Klein quit the music business ("too stressful"), but now a greatest hits album was released, accompanied by a little gem of a single: Pauvre Diable. Die-hard reggaeton fans will recognize the melody and lyrics, because in fact "Pauvre Diable" is a French-language cover of Don Omar's major hit Pobre Diabla.

It's a complete style shift compared to their previous work, but I love this song. They kept the original bachata feel, but without the electronics and synth beats, giving the song more authenticity. And of course Dani Klein's hoarse voice is a great addition. Or maybe I'm a bit personally biased here: "Pauvre Diable" lays a link between my two home countries, Belgium (I heard loads of Vaya Con Dios in my kid years) and Guatemala (where I discovered Don Omar and Pobre Diabla).

PS: Sorry for the slowness of the site these days. I think it's Blogger's fault, my own server is quicker than ever...

Vaya Con Dios - Pauvre Diable mp3 buy@iTunes (Europe only) buy@CD Universe

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aangezien, je zegt dat je twee thuislanden hebt, vergeef me m'n nieuwsgierigheid maar ben je ook met AFS weggeweest?

Chapín said...

Inderdaad :) Ik heb een jaar in La Unión, Zacapa gewoond, in 2003-2004.

Anonymous said...

nice cover! I've heard it a lot on radio 1 here in Belgium ;-)
this proves that reggaeton is not just bling and bitches, some songs are written very well, and with slight adaptations to European culture, they can be hits here too!

Elizabeth U. said...

oh jesus, that cover's hilarious. thanks for the track!

Cristina said...

I loved that cover.
thanks!

Anonymous said...

does anyone know where i can find the entire translation for High and Dry that is used on Rhythms Del Mundo?

I love playing this song on the guitar but would love to sing this translation of it, just sounds so romantic.