Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Salsa: NG2

NG2 Ella Menea Puerto Rico Latin Salsa Music
When I started this blog, more than two years ago already, I wasn't really a salsa aficionado. I only knew salsa from the cheesy, romantic version played on Latin American radio and salsa classes for elderly couples in Europe. But over the years I've learned to appreciate it - the funkier Cuban and Colombian variety, the timeless New York salsa classics, and even the odd Gilberto Santa Rosa song.

But seldom a salsa song had such an instant appeal to me as "Ella Menea". The Puertorican boys of NG2 (which stands for Nueva Generación) bring a sparkling and joyful type of salsa they call salsa jóven - even though they sound as routined as many veterans. The rhythm is fairly typical (maybe a little spiced up) but I especially heard some great use of instrumentation - the deep brass sounds and percussion in the intro, for example. Highly danceable, and you won't forget the earworm chorus. Menealo!

NG2 - Ella Menea mp3

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Chapin, thanks for sharing the nice salsa cut. I have to admit, when I saw the name, I was thinking the classic Cuban band NG La Banda. It seems like this is along another line, but still a good dance tune. I like the vocals too. Overall, a good find, thanks again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I like it ;)

Chapín said...

Thanks.

@chipboaz: Yeah, they were "Nueva Generacíon" as well, no? But on a totally other level, inventing timba and all ;) NG2 would be a little ambitious if they wanna compare their innovations to NG La Banda's..

TTSO said...

antwerpen bro... i just posted new reggaeton on my page, i hope you like it!

btw, i'm co-editing a magazine based between mexico city & L.A. focused entirely on the stuff you feature in your blog. i would definitely like to talk to you regarding future possible collaborations... the magazine is published in spanish though and it's for insiders of the music industry only.

cheers!

Chapín said...

That, my friend, looks like a marvellous post! :) I'll be dedicating an entire break from my study time to it very soon (I'm in the middle of some heavy exams).

You can always contact me at laondatropical [at] telenet [dot] be for that magazine thing, I couldn't find your e-mail anywhere. I have to warn you about my Spanish though :)

El Guiri said...

I could help you out with that :p

Anonymous said...

I have to say this site was helpful for me to find out about NG2. They are playing it all over the radio in Miami and NYC. Thanks for putting together a helpful site and keeping it up to date!

Anonymous said...

This could be the album of the summer. There's an interview with NG2 on Bilboard en Espanol:
http://www.billboardenespanol.com/musica/content_display/noticias/ultimas-noticias/e3iddd17cfbd71296b9eea6d0374aadbdbb

Anonymous said...

I must say that when I heard NG2 for the first time, they got my attention. They are making a good effort, however, can not be compared to NG LA BANDA. What got my attention was that they are playing something which is an imitation of what has been playing in CUBA (Timba) for a while now, however we in the states don’t get to hear much of it being played over our radio stations. I don’t know what’s the reason for this. Another Cuban band that also has a very interesting sound, is Adalberto Alvarez Y su son.

These bands should get air time over our Spanish radio stations, I don’t think that Fidel is going to come here and put a stop to it.